Areas of Expertise
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVM)
- Brain tumors
- Carotid and intracranial artery stenosis
- Chiari malformations
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH)
- Skull base tumors
About Dr. Vez
Dr. Erol "Vez" Veznedaroglu is one of the most experienced cerebrovascular neurosurgeons in the country.
He is a professor and the director of Drexel Neurosciences Institute at Drexel University’s College of Medicine and is a nationally-recognized leader in cerebrovascular care.
Dr. Vez, as he is known, also holds the Robert A. Groff Chair in Neurosurgery at the Global Neurosciences Institute (GNI). As chair he leads a team of some of the nation’s most experienced neurosurgeons specializing in complex conditions of the brain.
He served as director of the Division of Cerebrovascular and Endovascular Neurosurgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, where he also directed the endovascular/cerebrovascular neurosurgery fellowship program.
Publications and lectures
He is widely published and speaks regularly at international conferences, lecturing extensively on:
- The treatment of aneurysm
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Intracranial vascular disorders
As a recognized academic leader, he has written chapters and articles in various publications. Dr. Vez has also edited books on neurosurgical techniques and issues that are used by neurosurgeons across the country.
In addition to providing clinical care, Dr. Vez is the primary investigator of numerous clinical and basic science studies related to cerebrovascular disease and is a nationally recognized academic leader in the area of cerebrovascular care.
These groundbreaking clinical trials have transformed the standard of care for neurologic emergencies, and he continues to develop and patent innovative treatments and devices for stroke and aneurysm.
He was the first surgeon in the mid-Atlantic region to pioneer the use of several devices, including the:
- Trevo® Pro Retriever, following approval by the FDA, to treat stroke
- MERCI Retriever
- Penumbra device
- Cordis Enterprise Stent for the treatment of wide-necked aneurysms
- Onyx Glue treatment for aneurysms
- Wingspan stent system, which is the first FDA-approved stent used to open clogged arteries in the brain
Certifications and associations
Dr. Veznedaroglu is board-certified in neurological surgery.
He is a fellow of:
- The American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- The American Association of Neurologic Surgeons (FAANS)
- The American Heart and Stroke Association (FAHA)
Education and training
- Medical school: State University of New York at Buffalo School of Medicine
- Fellowship: Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, cerebrovascular/neurointerventional neurosurgery and neurocritical care