Areas of Expertise
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVM)
- Brain tumor
- Carotid and intracranial artery stenosis
- Spine (Operative/nonoperative)
- Spine tumor
About Dr. Hakma
Dr. Zakaria Hakma is among an elite group of dual-trained vascular neurosurgeons able to perform conventional neurosurgery as well as minimally invasive endovascular neurosurgery.
He is a cerebrovascular/endovascular neurosurgeon with Global Neurosciences Institute and an assistant professor in the Department of Neurosurgery at Drexel University College of Medicine. Dr. Hakma also specializes in minimally invasive spine procedures and is director of spine programs for Global Neurosciences Institute.
Dr. Hakma is widely published in the areas of:
- Carotid artery disease
- Other highly complex conditions of the brain and spine
Dr. Hakma regularly presents at leading neuroscience conferences.
Certifications and associations
Dr. Hakma is board-certified in neurological surgery.
He is a fellow of:
- The American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- The American Association of Neurologic Surgeons (FAANS)
Education and training
- Medical school: Damascus University
- Internship: Drexel University College of Medicine, internal medicine
- Residencies: Temple University, chief resident, neurology and neurosurgery
- Fellowship: Capital System Stroke and Cerebrovascular Center, cerebrovascular/endovascular neurosurgery and neurocritical care
During his fellowship, he was under the direction of Erol Veznedaroglu, MD, FACS, FAANS, FAHA.